Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Shogoji 2008 International Ango: Pt 6

It was suggested that by leaving the ango early I was avoiding dealing with boredom.

When we arrived so much was new and different and only after a couple of weeks would I fall into the rhythm and pattern of life at the temple and begin to experience the frustration born from lack of fresh stimuli. It seems to me, though, that I don't need to hang out at a temple to deal with boredom. It's what I've spent the better part of life dealing with. In fact I'd guess that's what most of us deal with – putting up with our jobs, with our homes and all the routine work that goes into maintaining them, putting up with the places we live, the commute to work, the paperwork at the job, office politics, etc., etc. I've dealt with my boredom in some rather unskillful ways, but my experience at the temple suggested that we would not be introduced to a method for managing boredom, but would be left to find our own way. Which is exactly what I'm doing in my life outside the temple.



In the end I was asking myself, what is the purpose in staying? To say that I had completed the full ango? You don't need to finish a mediocre film or meal to know that it's not likely to get better. To fulfill an obligation to the other ango participants to practice as a group? I liked the people I was with and can understand that some might prefer I stay, but impermanence is after all one of the central tenets of Buddhism.

Someone compared the ango to a ship and the participants to a crew. Only working together can the crew sail the boat to its destination. What was left unsaid was that though the group may sail the boat to its destination, everyone must walk ashore on his own.


Thank you and OK!
Shogoji 2008 International Ango: Pt 5
Shogoji 2008 International Ango: Pt 4
Shogoji 2008 International Ango: Pt 3
Shogoji 2008 International Ango: Pt 2
Shogoji 2008 International Ango: Pt 1
Shogoji 2008 International Ango: Pt 0


#

3 comments:

  1. What was also left unsaid was: Where the hell is this boat *going* anyhow! :-P

    I have returned safely to the motherland. I'll write you an e-mail later.

    Tell Mitsumi-san I said hello and thanks for the warm hospitality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon after returning, we watched Dead Man's Chest:


    Sparrow: My compass is unique.
    Norrington: *Unique* here having the meaning of *broken*?
    Sparrow: True enough.


    Glad to hear your ship arrived safely. Will forward your regards and look forward to an update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What was left unsaid was that though the group may sail the boat to its destination, everyone must walk ashore on his own."

    As the early to mid 90's rappers said, "word".

    Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete