Friday, January 23, 2009

Pop

Further to this week's episode involving the fly and the hair, this morning while meditating I heard a faint pop. Every 15 to 20 seconds – pop – the sound of a water bubble. On the nightstand next to the bed is a thermos, an old fashioned thermos with a cork stopper. I used a bit of the water shortly after waking and now the trapped air was leaking out. Pop – pop – pop. A tiny sound, but magnified by the early silence at 05:30. My initial reaction was one of irritation; get up and fix this. But I waited. It was a small thing over which to move. Learn to sit with it. What if, I thought, this pop were the sound of a rain drop outside my window? Pop – pop – pop. Ah, that feels better. Same sound, different conception, different reaction. And as I sat further, my mind becoming more concentrated and no longer preoccupied with the pop, I began to feel the sound of the escaping air, tiny ripples of sound waves moving across the body.

#

0 comments:

Post a Comment