Monday, January 26, 2009

Understanding


Sarnath, December 09

... in order to understand ourselves we need a great deal of humility. If you start by saying, `I know myself', you have already stopped learning about yourself; or if you say, 'There is nothing much to learn about myself because I am just a bundle of memories, ideas, experiences and traditions', then you have also stopped learning about yourself. The moment you have achieved anything you cease to have that quality of innocence and humility; the moment you have a conclusion or start examining from knowledge, you are finished, for then you are translating every living thing in terms of the old. Whereas if you have no foothold, if there is no certainty, no achievement, there is freedom to look, to achieve. And when you look with freedom it is always new. A confident man is a dead human being.

Krishnamurti
Freedom From the Known


#

4 comments:

  1. Hello Jeff,
    I’m Marilyn from OZ.I have been reading bits and pieces of your blog for about a month now. I was looking at Tibetan art on the net. That’s how I came across your blog. Enjoying reading about the process and progress of you paintings. I love the story about the girl’s hair on your finger and pop and the cute sweeping boy, how lovely is his smile. Tonight I have just read a piece from Freedom From the Know (posted 26th Jan 09). Well I really liked that. It’s made remember a thing this great teacher use to say to us in our high school English class. A long time ago! “He not busy being born is busy dying”. Well I have always loved this from the first time I hear it. I don’t know who said it first or where it comes from. There has not been too many people that I’ve come across in my life so far seem to really understand it. For me it was firstly about seeing as a small child does for the first time new things. As a visual person/artist this meant and made so much sense. But as my life goes on it has began to mean a lot of things, and reading this piece tonight was pretty fantastic. Innocence and humility- so lacking in our world. I think I shall have to go find it and read some more maybe! Or may be just keep reading your blog. Thank you, you are so much more interesting than TV, a real person doing and having a meaningful and interesting life. Bye Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The meaning, I suppose, is what we make of it. But, yes, certainly more interesting than TV, which really isn't all that hard to do. It seems that most of us, though, are not used to doing it, even conceiving it. I was delighted when I read your message, that something I did here could in some way touch your life. I haven't yet been to Australia, but when I do I hope I can pay you a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, thanks for your nice reply. Yes Australia is a good place to live and visit, would be nice to meet some one you talk to on the net. Well have a nice day in your part of the planet. My part of the planet is just fine;Bye Bye,Hope this gets to you,having troubles.Seem to have lost my ability to blog,Pass word confusion!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, thanks for your nice reply. Yes Australia is a good place to live and visit, would be nice to meet some one you talk to on the net. Well have a nice day in your part of the planet. My part of the planet is just fine;Bye Bye

    ReplyDelete