Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The season of fear

As an American overseas, I am often asked by the non-Americans around me at this time every four years to explain the US electoral system. That's not as easy as it sounds, as most any American who has tried can tell you.

I am also asked to offer my opinions on the candidates or the issues. This used to be easier to do, but as I get older (and perhaps a little wiser) I notice that even things we regard as everyday facts are not always so easily or clearly understood. That is, they are not as factual as they appear at first glance. How much more so opinions based on those facts?

I usually try to beg off whenever I'm asked. Ironically, this piece appeared in this morning's newspaper and I found myself nodding in agreement (though would offer that there is plenty of ignorance to share among us all).

#

0 comments:

Post a Comment